Social ScienceThe Social Science Department at IEGS offers an exciting and diverse pre-university program that prepares students for university studies in the social sciences, as well as law.
Empowering students with knowledge.
The Department is, by its nature, interdisciplinary and the subjects taught in the department include Civics, History, Geography, International Relations, Religion, History of Culture and Ideas, Psychology, Business and Law. The department aims to empower our students with the knowledge, understanding and analytical skills that allow them to achieve success in a wide range of fields in the modern world. We want our graduate students to be equipped to ask probing questions and seek out nuanced answers to key contemporary issues at both local and global levels.
Aims of the department:
- helping students broaden, deepen and develop knowledge of people’s living conditions based on different social, economical and historical issues
- giving students the opportunity to develop knowledge of issues relating to power, democracy, gender equality and human rights including the rights of children and young people in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child
- giving students the opportunity to develop an understanding of issues related to working life, resources and sustainable development
- developing the language skills of the students so that they can communicate at an appropriate level generally, and specifically, in the vocabulary of the social sciences
- equipping the students with the capacity to establish relationships between the principal elements and concepts of the social science disciplines
- encouraging students not only to develop the ability to search for, organise and assess information from different sources and media, but also to draw conclusions from the information and to express knowledge and ideas both orally and in writing, as well as using modern information technology
- encouraging students to continue participating in the European Youth Parliament (EYP) debates to represent the school at regional, national, international level.
TeachersWe strive to nurture international mindedness within our school community, encouraging our students to actively and positively engage in the world in all its complexity.
Mr. BjarnestamGeography and History
Mr. Bjarnestam is a Licentiate in Geography from Uppsala University. In his research Mr. Bjarnestam has focused on urban geography, perceptions of urban sustainable development and the planning process of the new Slussen area in Södermalm. He also holds a Master´s Degree in Geography, History and History of Religions from the universities in Stockholm and Uppsala, as well as being a licensed gymnasium teacher with a degree from the Stockholm Institute of Education, Lärarhögskolan.
Mr. JohanssonReligion, International Relations and History Teacher
Mr. Johansson is a qualified teacher from Stockholm University. He holds a Master of science in Education and teaches Religion and History. Mr Johansson has 10 years of experience in recruitment and human resources in the Norwegian logistics industry.
Mr. JonesCivics and International Relations Teacher
Before becoming a teacher, Mr. Jones had a career as an international civil servant working with international democracy assistance and human rights. He has also worked as a radio journalist for Sveriges Radio. Originally from Oxford in the UK. Mr. Jones holds a Master of Science in Upper Secondary Education from Stockholm University, a Master's degree in International Relations from the University of Warwick and a Bachelor's degree in History and American Studies from the University of Nottingham.
Mr. McElwaineHistory and International Relations Teacher, and Head of the Social Sciences and Law Department
Mr. McElwaine is from Northern Ireland. He has a BA in Modern History and English Literature from the University of Oxford. Mr. McElwaine also completed his teacher training at Oxford. He taught in both the UK and Spain before moving to Stockholm.
Ms. MåtarBusiness and Law Teacher
Ms. Måtar is originally from Helsinki, Finland. She holds a Master's Degree in Business Administration as well as a teacher’s degree, both from Åbo Akademi University in Finland. She also carried out a part of her studies in Germany. Prior to joining IEGS, Ms. Måtar lived and worked in Shanghai, China for over a decade.
Ms. SangEconomics and IB DP Coordinator
Ms. Sang is originally from Australia. She holds a Bachelor of Business Management, a Graduate Diploma in Anthropology and a double Masters in International Relations and International Trade and Commerce Law. She has also completed her teacher qualification at Macquarie University in Sydney. Ms. Sang teaches English on the national program and Economics on the IB. She is also the IB DP Coordinator at IEGS.
Mr. ShawCivics, International Relations, and English Teacher
Mr. Shaw is originally from Toronto, Canada. He has a Bachelor of Education degree from the University of Alberta with a specialisation in Social Studies and English Literature. In addition to his primary areas of focus, Mr. Shaw also has a background in ESL instruction, gaining TEFL certification in 2017. He currently teaches Civics, International Relations, and English at IEGS.
Ms. SimisterPsychology and CAS Coordinator
Ms. Simister is a qualified Secondary School teacher from Canada. She holds a Bachelor of Education degree, and a Bachelor of Arts (Psychology). She has also completed a pedagogical certificate from Harvard Graduate School of Teaching. Prior to joining IEGS, she taught in international schools for many years in Stockholm.
Dr. TekleSocial Science, Environmental Systems and Societies, Environment and Energy Teacher
Dr. Tekle is originally from Eritrea and holds a B.A. in Geography & Sociology and M.A. in Geography from Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia. He holds a PhD in Plant Ecology from Uppsala University. He is also a qualified teacher from Uppsala University and has a background in teaching and research.